Dexter head coach, Takashi Gould, and myself have been working on this for the last two weeks or so. There was a lot of data to corral and then we had to decide what exactly we were going to do with the bracket we created. Here is what we came up with.
Teams attained points based on the following criteria:
Team State Meet Finish:
Teams also received three points if they had an individual state champion.
For teams to advance to the next round, the vote will depend 50% on the public vote, and the other 50% on our expert panel of former and current high school coaches and others close to the sport. At the end of the voting, we will publish the results with a couple blurbs from our panel about why they picked the team that they did.
A couple notes about the boys history before you go further.
- Our results only go back to 1954.
- From 1954-1959, all teams ran together, there were no divisions
- From 1960-1973, Class C and Class D teams ran together
- From 1961-1996, there was an individual race, and a team race. Therefore, there were two individual state champions each of those years for each division.
We got the names for each Region from the history of the Michigan Interscholastic Track Coaches Association (MITCA). Kermit Ambrose, Bob Parks, Don Sazima, and Gene Freed were the original "founding fathers" of the organization back in 1959, read their account here.
(1) Ann Arbor Pioneer
(2) Bear Lake
(3) Jackson Lumen Christi
(4) St. Joseph
(5) Ann Arbor Greenhills
(8) Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard
(2) Detroit Catholic Central
(3) Carson City-Crystal
(6) Grass Lake
(8) Flint Powers Catholic
(1) Highland Milford
(5) Grosse Pointe North
(6) Flint Kearsley
(8) Big Rapids
(2) Benzie Central
(3) White Lake Lakeland
(5) Grand Rapids West Catholic
(8) St. Louis
VOTING FOR ROUND ONE WILL END SATURDAY, JULY 27 AT 11:59pm.